- Leashed pets allowed on Wawona Meadows Loop
- Self-guided trail brochures
- Tram tours
The Grizzly Giant, one of the best known sequoias in the Mariposa Grove, is 96 feet in circumference and 27.6 feet in diameter at its base, and is located a short .8 mile hike from the parking lot. A one-hour tram tour runs from May to October and gives the history of the grove. Wawona Point, at an elevation of 4810 feet, has a terrific view of the Wawona Valley.
Wawona Meadow Loop; Wawona Hotel: Swinging Bridge Loop; Wawona Store: Wawona to Mariposa Grove; Wawona Hotel: Mariposa Grove; Mariposa Grove parking area: Alder Creek; trailhead .4 miles up Chilnualna Falls Road: Chilnualna Falls; trailhead 2 miles up Chilnualna Falls Road
Hikes in the Wawona and Mariposa Grove include:
- Wawona Meadow Loop, easy, 3.5 mile loop, 2 hours
- Swinging Bridge Loop, easy, 4.8 mile loop, 2 hours
- Wawona to Mariposa Grove, moderate, 6 miles, free shuttle bus return
- Mariposa Grove, three moderate hikes, 1.6-6.9 miles, 1-5 hours
- Alder Creek, strenuous, 12 miles, 6-8 hours
- Chilnualna Falls, strenuous, 8.2 miles round-trip, 5 hours
Self-guiding tour maps are available.
Plan & Prepare
Bring water. Skiing or snowshoeing in the winter requires knowledge and preparation. Guidelines are available from the National Park Service.