The central Sierra Nevada Mountains is the perfect destination for a real nature-style getaway. Your choice of activities will astound you. There’s everything from skiing in the winter to biking in the summer and much, much more.
Choose Your Favorite Activity
There are so many places to go and things to see, you will need to plan carefully to fit it all in.
Places to go:
- Yosemite National Park – you absolutely can’t miss a tour through Yosemite, with it only an easy day trip from Twain Harte. Experience the incredible tranquility of this High Sierra wilderness. Stop by and see the waterfalls, beautiful meadows and the awesome giant sequoias.
- Emigrant Wilderness Area – great scenic beauty awaits you in this Sierra wonderland. You’ll spot wildlife, particularly deer herds, among the trees, lakes and meadows. Plenty of outdoor recreation right here too, with great fishing. Marvel at the peaks and valleys of nature’s wild area.
- Calaveras Big Trees State Park – this grove of giant sequoias has been an attraction to tourists for decades.
- Columbia State Historic Park – frozen in the 1800s, this settlement is a well-preserved gold rush town. Tour the museums, marvel over the displays, or watch a live theater play. There’s plenty here that will tickle your fancy.
- Railtown State Historic Park – you can’t miss what’s been come to be called the “Movie Railroad.” Back to the Future 3, Petticoat Junction and the movie High Noon were filmed here. Bring the kids to see the last operating railroad roundhouse. Ride a real steam locomotive. The fun never stops.
Things to do:
- Summer concerts – every Saturday during the summer you can enjoy the free Concerts in the Pines series.
- Golfing – a number of great golf courses are nearby so you can polish your game.
- Playing the casinos – if you like a little gambling, you can attend one of the two casinos in the area for some excitement.
- Fishing – plenty of great fishing around here! On Pinecrest Lake you can go after that rainbow trout. At Beardsley Reservoir and Cherry Lake you’ll find rainbow trout as well as eastern brook trout and German brown trout. Or try your hand on one of the many rivers, such as the Clark Fork, the Stanislaus or the Tuolumne.
And this just touches the surface of things to do and see in Twain Harte California!