- Porcupine Flat is a lovely place to camp within Yosemite National Park
- Open from July to October 15th
- $12 camping fees per night
- This campground is first-come, first-served
- Take a hike on the nearby Porcupine Flat Trail
- Be sure to visit Tuolumne Meadows since you’re so close
Porcupine Flat Campground in Yosemite National Park is mostly for tent camping, although there are a few RV sites (no hookups). You’ll need to bring your own water or be able to boil any water found locally. A creek runs nearby, giving you lovely sounds to lull you to sleep at night. You’ll have fire rings, picnic tables and food lockers at each site.
Porcupine Flat Campground is on the Tioga Road (Highway 140) close to Tuolumne Meadows. After turning onto Tioga Road from Big Oak Flat Road, it’s only 24 miles to the campground.
There’s no need to make reservations at Porcupine Flat Campground. It is first-come, first-served.
Specifics for 2017
- Open – From July to October 15t, 2017
- Fee - $12 per night
- # of Sites - 52
- Elevation - 8,100 feet
- Toilet Facilities – Vault toilets
- Showers and Laundry – Showers in Yosemite Valley at Curry Village and Housekeeping Camp, Laundry in Curry Village
- Are generators permitted? Yes, sparingly during daytime hours
- RV sites available? Yes, but limited in number
- Is there a dump station? Closest one is at Tuolumne Meadows Campground
Nearby Activities & Attractions
Porcupine Flat is the perfect starting point for many Yosemite adventures.
The Porcupine Flat trailhead is just a mile past the campground, on the right side of the road. This North Dome hike is 9 miles roundtrip, taking you to the top of the dome. A strenuous route, this hike isn’t for those not up for some real work. It’s worth it for the marvelous views of North Dome, Half Dome and Cloud’s Rest.
- Olmsted Point
Head northeast from the campgrounds, and in 9 minutes you’ll reach Olmsted Point, an overlook where you can enjoy spectacular views of Yosemite Valley.
- Tenaya Lake
Only a 10-minute drive, you have to get to Tenaya Lake while you are camping at Porcupine Creek. This High Sierra lake offers scenic qualities hard to find anywhere else. Be sure to bring a camera!
- Tuolumne Meadows
A short 19 minutes away is Tuolumne Meadows, a marvelous place to hike and enjoy nature at its finest. Find Soda Springs and Parsons Lodge Trail, an easy 1.5-mile roundtrip trek beginning at the parking area at shuttle stop 4. Visit the Parsons Memorial Lodge and some interesting exhibits. You can also tour the Tuolumne Meadows Visitor Center.