- Explore Moaning Cavern to get an opportunity to see the largest lone cave in the US
- Only 2 hours and 10 minutes from Yosemite National Park
- The cavern is open year-round
- Take a 45-minute tour 165 feet underground
- Adults: $14.75; Children: $7.50
- Try rope rappelling into the cave’s main chamber
Moaning Cavern’s tours provide a special opportunity to see this, the largest lone cave in the US. You descend through lighted passages to 165 feet below ground, taking in the sights as guides fill you in on the history and geology of the cavern. Just a short drive from Yosemite, it’s a great place to bring the family when on vacation.
California Moaning Cavern’s wonders are only 2 hours and 10 minutes from Yosemite. Take California Highway 120 out of the park, turning right on Highway 49. When you get to California Highway 4, turn right and follow that to Parrotts Ferry Road in Vallecito, California. Follow the signs to Moaning Cave.
5350 Moaning Cave Road
Vallecito, CA 95251
Phone – 866-762-2837
Moaning Caverns CA is open year round. Hours are 10am-4pm Monday through Friday and 9am-5pm on Saturday and Sunday.
Moaning Caverns California offers a few different tours:
- Cave tours – Adults are $17.50, Children ages 3 to 12 are $9.50
- Rope Rappelling – Per person cost is $72 (minimums for weight, age and size)
Moaning Cavern was discovered by gold miners in the area, and has been a popular attraction ever since. The cave gets its name from the haunting sound emerging from the depths, said to be caused by dripping water and wind. The cave is so big that the Statue of Liberty could fit inside with still plenty of room overhead.
There are a number of activities for visitors at Moaning Cavern, from the standard 45-minute tour of the inside wonders to a longer 3-hour tour. Rope rappelling into the main chamber has provided thrills for the adventurous folk that choose this way to explore. Visitors can also enjoy zip lining above ground, with a marvelous view of the surrounding forests.